APBRmetrics

The discussion of the analysis of basketball through objective evidence, especially basketball statistics.
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Linkage
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:34 pm 

Doug T. is planning on doing what you asked about:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=308

Till then the data at draft express could be used to manually calculate the 4 factors at least for past seasons.

Maybe they are already out there somewhere. Maybe ask here http://eba-stats.com/ or look around ballineurope.com or other european basketball blogs.

Post subject: Re: Linkage
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:00 pm 

bump

Post subject: Re: STICKY -- Linkage
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:56 pm 

This thread could be redone/trimmed down to contain actual working links; and include the APBR_Analysis archive link, and the APBR (historical) link.
Those sticky threads could then be deleted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:54 pm 

I'm up and running on a new blog covering DC sports. Right now it's more Redskins focused, although I've had some Wizards content up the past few days. I'll surely be doing more stat-related stuff in the future.

Broom on the Warpath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:45 pm 

From an article on your site:

"...this is going to be a quickie peek at the team using the rating system I've developed through the years. It's a combination of box score and on/off data, each weighted and balanced in a way to accurately reflect which individual players contribute most to winning games. The rating is based on per minute stats."

How much weight is on/off data given? Around one-third?

How much would you throw Nene and Okafor the ball? (Usage level)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:40 pm 

kjb wrote:
I'm up and running on a new blog covering DC sports. Right now it's more Redskins focused, although I've had some Wizards content up the past few days. I'll surely be doing more stat-related stuff in the future.

Broom on the Warpath

I can't seem to find a RSS feed anywhere. Do you know if you have one? If so, can you share the link? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:36 pm 

gfarkas wrote:
kjb wrote:

Broom on the Warpath

I can't seem to find a RSS feed anywhere. Do you know if you have one? If so, can you share the link? Thanks!

There isn't one at the moment. I asked the guys running the site about it -- that's how I follow blogs too. Haven't gotten word back. As soon as I know something, I'll post it back here. Thanks.

And the tech guys tell me that if you do this:

http://broomonthewarpath.sportsblog.com/rss

you'll be able to access the RSS feed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm 

I have started my site (see sig), I have zero idea what I'm doing with this website stuff - so it may look a bit raw for a while.

I've only been posting NCAA player ratings/rankings so far - I'm hoping to really be putting out some increasingly interesting stuff come March (2013). Until then - I'll try to update my college player ratings every week or so, as well as my NBA player ratings/rankings, which I will start posting soon.

Eventually over the course of the next few months, when I have an understanding on how in the world to post TONS of data - I will post historical NBA player ratings/rankings, adjusted for era, pace, team quality, playing time, etc. My system attempts to put everyone (from the 50's to now) on a level playing field in terms of attempting to evaluate player performance statistically.

I'll try to get the stats together to eventually accumulate maybe the last 14 years of NCAA player ratings. When that is done, considering I can break down the ratings into various statistical subsets AFTER adjusting for pace & SoS - I should be able to really do some projection work, including college to NBA. In a perfect world, that will be happening before the next NBA draft, but that may be too tall an order (working full time, family & their sports/events, exercise, sleep....).

Please let me know if ANY of you have ideas on how best to approach getting complete historical NBA data in a site in some functional way. Like I said - this website stuff is completely new to me, but I usually learn things quickly. Also - if ANYONE has histiorical NCAA player stats - I could use them. I have accumulated quite a bit - I have quite a bit more to get. There are enough errors in every set of NCAA stats I get that I spend much time finding/fixing the errors - so I pretty much have to get stats from up to three different sources for me to ensure accuracy in my work.

http://hoopsnerd.com
https://twitter.com/Hoops_Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:05 pm 

I would suggest using some sort of database technology for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:21 pm 

Justin Kubatko's blog: http://statitudes.com/blog/

He writes about subjects other than basketball, too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:43 pm 

My new blog home -- http://kevinbroom.com/.

Also, feel free to give me a follow on Twitter -- @broom_kevin

I'll follow back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:13 am 

I'm a massive draft junkie who loves advanced metrics and projection models on prospects. James Brocato (www.shutupandjam.net) was my go-to guy for this, i've never trusted a prospect formula more than that one. But then he got hired by Dallas. Bye bye James. Anybody know of any other great prospect projection models around?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:21 am 

Barncore wrote:
I'm a massive draft junkie who loves advanced metrics and projection models on prospects. James Brocato (http://www.shutupandjam.net) was my go-to guy for this, i've never trusted a prospect formula more than that one. But then he got hired by Dallas. Bye bye James. Anybody know of any other great prospect projection models around?

I'll have one done around June. James & I have chatted on Twitter - we seem to have similar approaches. Difference is I use my ratings that are already adjusted for pace, SoS, playing time (relating to team quality), etc. broken down into all the minutiae before I find comps and project NBA career curves. If you liked/loved his stuff - you'll probably like mine. Maybe not as much as his - who knows, maybe more. We'll see.

If you don't know - I do rank ALL the D1 players, feel free to check in and peruse the results ( http://www.hoopsnerd.com ) . There tends to be a pretty solid parallel between my college performance ratings and future pro prospects (kinda like a AA or AAA minor leaguer with great OPS+ projecting well for being at least a decent hitter at the MLB level, especially if they are younger). This last draft - 22 of my top 23 draftable rated players (a number being small/mid majors) were actually drafted.

I'll have all historical ratings dating back to 96-97 done & posted before the draft model gets done - I'm currently attempting to clean historical stats when I have the time (including having proper player class from year to year) before I rate and post all the results.

http://hoopsnerd.com
https://twitter.com/Hoops_Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 pm 

Statman wrote:
Barncore wrote:
I'm a massive draft junkie who loves advanced metrics and projection models on prospects. James Brocato (http://www.shutupandjam.net) was my go-to guy for this, i've never trusted a prospect formula more than that one. But then he got hired by Dallas. Bye bye James. Anybody know of any other great prospect projection models around?

I'll have one done around June. James & I have chatted on Twitter - we seem to have similar approaches. Difference is I use my ratings that are already adjusted for pace, SoS, playing time (relating to team quality), etc. broken down into all the minutiae before I find comps and project NBA career curves. If you liked/loved his stuff - you'll probably like mine. Maybe not as much as his - who knows, maybe more. We'll see.

If you don't know - I do rank ALL the D1 players, feel free to check in and peruse the results ( http://www.hoopsnerd.com ) . There tends to be a pretty solid parallel between my college performance ratings and future pro prospects (kinda like a AA or AAA minor leaguer with great OPS+ projecting well for being at least a decent hitter at the MLB level, especially if they are younger). This last draft - 22 of my top 23 draftable rated players (a number being small/mid majors) were actually drafted.

I'll have all historical ratings dating back to 96-97 done & posted before the draft model gets done - I'm currently attempting to clean historical stats when I have the time (including having proper player class from year to year) before I rate and post all the results.

Wow, this sounds amazing. Exactly what i'm looking for. I'll definitely be following your site closely. Do you think you'll be done before the NBA draft?

Interesting that you and James have been in touch. He has had some really great adjustments to his model over time. Can't wait to see you pick up where he left off!

Sometimes a player who is great in college, their game wont translate to the NBA well for whatever reason. What measure do you have to detect/project that?

Let me know if there is anything i can do to help with the site, or research, or admin work, or whatever. Happy to help this cause. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:13 pm 

Evan created a forum at nbawowy.com.

How is it going? Others here participating there?