Draft lottery proposal

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Draft lottery proposal

Post by Crow » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Rought cut about a new way to do it:

Lottery ball distribution

Playoff teams get one ball. 16
Next four teams (2 per conference) get 2 balls. 8
Next four teams get 4 balls. 16
Last six teams get 6 balls. 36

Extra ball for each playoff round won after the first round. 7
Two extra balls for 4 most improved teams from last year’s lottery class. 8
Three ball prizes to three teams by special drawing amongst lottery teams. (a random element for draft buzz, fan surprise / happiness)

Total 100 standard.

Special rules:

Teams that stay in bottom 6 more than 3 years lose 2 balls from allocation.

Teams that make playoffs for first time in 5 years, get 2 more balls.
Teams that win a playoff series for first time in 5 years, get 2 more balls.

There is still substantial weighting toward the bottom end; but now everyone has ways of getting more balls by doing better and tanking is not rewarded as much as in current system, especially at very end because of tiering.

Teams have 3 bonus balls they can use once every 5 years whenever they wish to facilitate desired rebuilding when it is most wanted.

General reaction? Tweaks?

Statman

Re: Draft lottery proposal

Post by Statman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:02 am

You inspired me to post my opinion about this at my site - a #1 pick "tourney":

http://hoopsnerd.com/?p=628

I just think it would be crazy interesting if the NBA thought completely outside the box and did something radical. It really would be feasible (probably with some tweaks) - and would generate more $$. ALL teams & fans would be looking forward to the postseason. Think how excited "bad" team fans might get if their team can make a run (against other bad to mediocre teams) for that #1 pick.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:22 pm

That would be more radical. NBA is too conservative to get that funky.

I have occasionally speculated that there might be an opening for a well financed, network sponsored alternative league, even if only for a modest time before merger to restore monopoly. A new league should go funkier, but so wild that it looks like a joke. I have thought that Magic Johnson would have the credibility to front such a venture but doubt he ever will. Maybe LeBron or KD or someone still to come might, or it could be corporate lead or waiting bridesmaid city led (Seattle, Vancouver, Vegas, San Jose, Anaheim, Tucson, Austin, Kansas City, Louisville, Norfolk, Nashville, Tampa).

Statman

Post by Statman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Crow wrote:That would be more radical. NBA is too conservative to get that funky.

I have occasionally speculated that there might be an opening for a well financed, network sponsored alternative league, even if only for a modest time before merger to restore monopoly. A new league should go funkier, but so wild that it looks like a joke. I have thought that Magic Johnson would have the credibility to front such a venture but doubt he ever will. Maybe LeBron or KD or someone still to come might, or it could be corporate lead or waiting bridesmaid city led (Seattle, Vancouver, Vegas, San Jose, Anaheim, Tucson, Austin, Kansas City, Louisville, Norfolk, Nashville, Tampa).
It may be wild - but you can't tell me something like that wouldn't very well end up being a big success for fans and NBA revenues? Right?

Most of the lottery draft order would end up fairly close to final record - it's not "that' radical in terms of final lottery results. Yes, a solid non playoff team (like the '14 Suns) maybe could win the pick (just like they could win maybe the lottery) - but they would have BY FAR the hardest road to win that pick, against teams that obviously won't be tanking during the lottery tourney.