League average on open mid-range shots?

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

League average on open mid-range shots?

Post by Crow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Does anyone have this? From second spectrum or whom?

Steve Kerr recently scoffed at the anti-midrange talk, then qualified it by retreating to open mid-rangers. It was "a good shot" for him and is for some now but how many? What is the league average for open non 3s, not at the rim? How many players shoot open mid-rangers at or above overall league average efg%? Within 10 %points of it? I assume it is still a worse than average shot for many or most players but this needs to be clarified and then publicized.

eminence

Re: League average on open mid-range shots?

Post by eminence » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Dunno about for open ones only, but I believe CP3 and Curry are the only guys who shoot above league average eFG% from the mid range regardless of whether it's open or not.

Crow

Re: League average on open mid-range shots?

Post by Crow » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:52 am

For open ones the average for 5 years before the last season or two was 43% according to red94. I put on twitter but hadn't circled to here til now.

So still a poor shot except for the above or well above average. The elevation over all midrangers (contested and open) is small, only a few percentage points. A shot that players don't make enough of either way but overrate their ability to do so. Might be interesting to see if accuracy is much better at exactly the elbow. Is distance perception an issue? Arc, touch? Shots taken with more elevation than practice?