Controlling the offense with "Situational Fouling"

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
watto84

Controlling the offense with "Situational Fouling"

Post by watto84 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:20 am

Hi,

Latest post is up which looks at the defensive end and bridging the gap between highly efficient offenses and lagging defensive schemes.

I look at "Situational Fouling" and how it can be used as a strategy to improve a teams defensive rating and control the offense through lower shot quality.

Check it out at:

http://www.zigzaganalytics.com/home/def ... al-fouling

Crow

Re: Controlling the offense with "Situational Fouling"

Post by Crow » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:25 am

I think you could have cut the first 25 or so paragraphs and dived right into the specific issue.

I'd be interested in discussion of situational fouling of the best guy or the hot sidekick too.

Tangent: how do we know what Gobert is thinking? Run the tape back and have him say as honestly as he can micro-second to micro-second. Then analyze his movement and statements, see where they agree, don't and what to try to change to improve. Do it for every possession of every game for every player forever. Have coach record his thoughts / reactions (or use senior assistants) for everything too micro-second to micro-second for everyone forever. And hire more staff to analyze this data.

Film session probably should remain as is, focusing on highlights, what the coach wants to say immediately.

What I suggested is for deep research and longer-term, background changes. If you won't make players do it after every game, that is a major concession to the status quo and not being the best you can be.

Young players should be made to listen to at least some of the vets comments, if not all of them, 3-5 times. Or more. Or at least the ones judged "proper" or "excellent".

And yes, I do mean micro-second to micro-second. Or maybe I should say fraction of second. Start with 1/4 to 1/2 second intervals. Adjust with experience.

watto84

Post by watto84 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:27 am

Yeah it was a lengthy post for sure.

But just wanted to put some context behind the lack of defensive analytic and the widening gap I see in the league between O AND D. Many people read my posts who aren’t necessarily analytics nerds either, so I tried to explain where I was coming from upfront and just give some background as the casual fan wouldn’t really have any idea.

Crow

Post by Crow » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:59 am

It is your choice. Just offering an opinion, fwiw, without varnish. Your other posts struck me as more direct.

josecarlos

Post by josecarlos » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:01 pm

OMG!!! This kind of fouls are very well known in Europe. To this kind of fousl we call "tactical fouls" :)

First of all, I want to apologize because I'm not going to talk about statistics I'm goingo to talk about basketball. And if I do it, it's because I think it could be interesting for someone.

We have a large experience with these fouls. With these fouls the team that make them what they want is ...

- To avoid fast-breaks
- To avoid easy baskets
- To control the rythm of the game

All these actions are making by these teams to avoid a high pace of the game. Because a worst team in a game with a low number of possessions has more oportunities to win than if they play a game with a high number of possessions.

Everything started so many years ago ... 1992 when Limoges (a french team) hired to Bozidar Maljkovic. Who is or was in that years Bozidar Maljkovic? Well, he was previously the coach of Jugoplastika. Jugoplastika, today called KK Split, is a team from Croatia. Jugoplastika has been one of the most talented teams in Europe of all time. He won the euroleague three times in a row from year 1989 until year 1991 with very young players like ... Dino Radja, Toni Kukoc, Velimir Perasovic, Zoran Sretenovic, Zan Tabak, etc.

How I said, Bozidar Maljkovic was hired for Limoges. But Limoges was not the same team than Jugoplastika. On the contrary, Limoges has been one of the less talented teams in Europe that had won the euroleague. Yes!!! They won the euroleague in 1993!!! How? Always controlling the pace of the game. Except a pair of players the rest of the players did not have a great offensive talent, so they could not play with high scoring. And one of the resources used was the tactical fouls.

In that year, in the regular season of the euroleague, Limoges was the team which scored less points and received less points by game. If quarters of final they played a very hard play-off with the field factor against and won it!!!

Olympiacos: 70 - 53 - 58
Limoges: 67 - 59 - 60

In the final four, the first game the result was:

Real Madrid C.F. 52
Limoges 62

And the final who they win had this result:
Benetton Treviso 55
Limoges 59

Limoges from 1993 to today has only one european title. They won "Copa Korac" in 2000, a minor title in that years.

Before the arrive of Bozidar Maljkovic the final played between Tracer Milan - Maccabi Tel-Aviv in 1988 finished with the result of ... 90 - 84 for the team of Milan. In that final, the point guard of Tracer Milan was ... Mike D'Antoni :)

And that's all!!! Everything started with Bozidar Maljkovic and his Limoges. We can say that Limoges has been the worst team by far that have won the euroleague.

Crow

Post by Crow » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:28 am

Sometimes analytics re-discovers things already known and practiced by at least a few. That is re-enforcing.