Improving the Timberwolves

Home for all your discussion of basketball statistical analysis.
Crow

Improving the Timberwolves

Post by Crow » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:05 am

Timberwolves at a factor level mainly need better shooting (and a better shot distribution), better shot defense and better defensive rebounding. It will be important to watch the moves and see if they prioritize these changes.

Ideally you might want to move Teague and Wiggins. If they don't move at least one that will slow the degree of change. Dieng, they might have to live with, especially if they don't bring Gibson back or get a significant add. Jones? I previously was higher on. I dunno what I'd pay him. Obviously what they do with Teague (and Rose) matters. I don't see any of these options as especially promising but there is ok and worse too.

They don't have any player pairs that are particularly strong. They need to find someone or preferable several players who will be a strong fit with Towns. Teague is the best current but it isn't that strong. They don't have any big minute really bad pairs either; but meh won't produce good or great.

If they wanted to, they could emphasize Teague, Wiggins, Covington with Towns and maybe Gibson and Rose over all else. That is probably what they should have done way way way more of this past season (short of trades not made). The only lineup they used more than 3 minutes per game used only 2 of these 6 guys and was meh. The second most used lineup had 5 and was plus 3.4 per 100 possessions. It probably should have been used at least 500% as much as it was. Same with the 3rd most used lineup with 5 of these 6 guys (with Rose). a third lineup with 4 of these guys and Jones should have played at least 500% as much too. Those 3 lineups are so visible and appealing when looking at them and the rest of the mess of data. The TWolves with huge focus on these 3 lineups could have a lot better last season and maybe this coming season. Failing to emphasize these 3 lineups and doing too much dinking around with 692 other lineups overwhelmed anything good being done. Unless new management radically changes this super sub-optimal pattern they won't advance as far as they hope to. Will they?

You shouldn't change Towns or Covington, at least right now. You could change some of the other 4- if you judge them as being equally capable to work at least ok with Towns and Covington or do better. But you probably shouldn't spend a lot of time using other current guys with the core. That didn't work well enough.

That is my 30 minute contribution. If want more, ask.

Crow

Re: Improving the Timberwolves

Post by Crow » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:59 am

Build up this group while retaining most or tear most of it down? Has that decision already been made or not? Before the coaching decision?